Goalkeeper Brad Guzan has signed a new four-year deal with Aston Villa. Lambert’s decision was vindicated as Guzan went on to enjoy a stellar campaign which earned him the player of the year award. “This is just the start now, the start of hard work. We have to build on last year and go forward and that is very much the collective mindset at the club,” Guzan said on Villa’s official website. “We grew together as a team last season and now it’s time to kick on again. We’ll welcome the new guys with open arms and allow them to join this special family that we’ve started to create from last season. It’s an exciting time for the club for sure. “When you bring in new players you have fresh bodies, fresh blood, fresh excitement and you need that to prevent things from becoming stale and guys getting complacent. You want competition for places, you want guys pushing each other and helping each other. When you bring in new faces it lifts everybody. “For me, it’s an honour and a privilege to play for Aston Villa Football Club and to commit my future long-term. I’m overjoyed by it.” Guzan joined Villa in July 2008 from American side Chivas and had to bide his time behind both Brad Friedel and then Given before being given his stripes. “Brad has been exceptional for the club, really fantastic on and off the pitch,” Lambert added. “He’s always bubbly around the place and a really solid character. He’s a good guy as well which is really important. Overall, he’s a credit to the club.” Press Association The 28-year-old United States international will now remain at Villa Park until the end of the 2016/17 season at least. The deal represents a further display of trust from manager Paul Lambert, who installed Guzan as his number one ahead of Shay Given before the start of last season.
The club confirmed on Tuesday that it will ask all season pass holders for their views on the proposed name change after it emerged that the Football Association’s membership committee has recommended that the Full Council, which will make the final decision at its meeting on April 9, rejects the club’s application. Owner Assem Allam has threatened to walk away if he does not get his wish, and the City Till We Die group is concerned about what supporters will be asked to vote on. Press Association The campaign group fighting a proposal to change Hull’s name to Hull Tigers fears the Allam family will use a ballot as a vote of confidence in its stewardship. As a result, they are urging the club to pose two questions. A spokesman said: “The club has yet to announce the exact wording of the question which will be posed, or how the ballot will be run. “However, City Till We Die are concerned that the voting form may be worded in such a way as to present the ballot as a vote of confidence in the Allams’ overall stewardship of the club, rather than the single issue of the name change. “Our campaign has always been about retaining the name ‘Hull City’ and nothing else. “We are therefore calling on the club to include TWO questions on the ballot form: 1. Do you agree with the proposed name change to “Hull Tigers”? – YES/NO; 2. Do you support the Allam family’s continued ownership of Hull City? – YES/NO. “We know that many supporters wish to remain as Hull City, but are happy for the Allams’ ownership of the club to continue. “We also hope there will be independent adjudication of the ballot, to avoid any doubt about the legitimacy of the results. “As ever, we remain keen to explore alternative means of making the club financially self-sustaining, without the need for changing its historic name.” Allam is convinced changing the name of the club after 110 years would open up new marketing opportunities which he insists are vital if it is to thrive in the Barclays Premier League. However, while understanding the need to attract additional revenue and acknowledging the good work which has been done by the Allams, the City Till We Die group has fought against the proposal from the off.
MOST READ LATEST STORIES Jo Koy: My brain always wants to think funny In this picture taken on August 22, 2017, people snowboard at the Wanda Harbin Ice and Snow Park in Harbin.At Dalian Wanda Group’s new Ice and Snow Park, chilly winds blew snowflakes around skiers zipping down the manmade slopes of the world’s largest indoor ski park, a potent symbol of China’s ambitions to turn itself into a winter sports powerhouse ahead of the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing. / AFP PHOTO / Nicolas ASFOURI / TO GO WITH China-lifestyle-ski, FEATURE by Yanan WANGBEIJING — Beijing, host of the 2022 Winter Olympic Games, has a snow problem: Hardly any of the white stuff falls on the Chinese capital despite freezing temperatures.Taking the matter in hand, the games organizing committee has formed a “snow affairs work team” and invited experts from Finland, Canada and other nations to help out, according to the official “2017 Beijing FactFile” produced by the city government.ADVERTISEMENT Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Kiss-and-tell matinee idol’s conquests: True stories or tall tales? Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene Kings see Game 4 as ‘do-or-die’ Beijing’s urban center will host indoor events such as ice hockey and figure skating, largely in venues left over from the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics. However, a lack of mountains and natural snow requires that ski events be held at sports clusters in Chongli as well as Beijing’s rural Yanqing county, both of which will be connected to the city center by a high-speed rail line.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. The work team would “expedite research on key technologies for making and preserving snow, and start to formulate a work plan to ensure suitable snow resources,” the publication said.Also on Thursday, Beijing Vice Mayor Zhang Jiandong said all venues and transport links for the games would be completed by the end of 2019, allowing Beijing to begin staging test events the next year.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSFederer blasts lack of communication on Australian Open smog“Progress on all these projects has been moving ahead smoothly,” Zhang said at a briefing on the sidelines of the twice-a-decade congress of China’s ruling Communist Party.Beijing was awarded the games in 2015, defeating Almaty, Kazakhstan, in the voting to become the first city to have been awarded both the Summer and Winter Olympics. It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set View comments