Tag: 夜上海论坛XX

  • Six White House aides, including Trump’s chief of staff, have the coronavirus.

    first_imgThe diagnoses came as the pandemic rampaged across the United States, which has recorded an average of more than 100,000 new cases per day over the past week and hit another record on Friday, with more than 132,700 cases in a single day. The country also recorded more than 1,220 deaths.Mr. Meadows, who abided by President Trump’s efforts to play down the coronavirus throughout the summer, is only the latest in a string of people in the president’s circle to contract the virus in the past seven weeks. Others include Mr. Trump himself and the first lady, Melania Trump, and several aides to the president and Vice President Mike PenceJoseph R. Biden Jr., who was elected the 46th president of the United States on Saturday, made criticism of Mr. Trump’s pandemic response a central feature of his campaign. Since Election Day, Mr. Biden has been briefed on the pandemic by economic and health advisers. Mark Meadows, the White House chief of staff, has contracted the coronavirus, as have five other White House aides and a Trump campaign adviser, officials say, raising fears of another outbreak sweeping through the ranks of the nation’s top officials.A Trump campaign adviser, Nick Trainer, along with four White House officials also tested positive for the virus, people close to the administration told The New York Times on Friday.- Advertisement – – Advertisement – “That’s 240,000 empty chairs at kitchen tables and dining room tables all across America,” he said. “We’ll never be able to measure all that pain and the loss, the suffering, that so many families have experienced.” In a brief speech on Friday night, Mr. Biden vowed to control the virus and noted that the Covid-19 death toll in the United States was approaching 240,000.- Advertisement –last_img read more

  • Update on the latest sports

    first_img Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditVIRUS OUTBREAK-COLLEGE SPORTSMid-American Conference cancels fall football due to virusUNDATED (AP) — The Mid-American Conference has become the first league competing at college football’s highest level to cancel its fall season because of COVID-19 concerns. UNDATED (AP) — The Cardinals have to wait a while longer to resume their season. Their weekend series at Busch Stadium against the Cubs was called off Friday after two more St. Louis players and a staff member tested positive for the coronavirus.The Cardinals already were scheduled to play three doubleheaders against Milwaukee to make up for games postponed last week.St. Louis has been off since a week ago Friday, when two players returned positive coronavirus tests. Eight players in total have tested positive, including star catcher Yadier Molina.St. Louis is next scheduled to play Monday at home against Pittsburgh. The Cubs next play Tuesday at Cleveland.Elsewhere around the majors: With the MAC’s 12 schools facing a significant financial burden by trying to maintain costly coronavirus protocols, the conference’s university presidents made the decision to cancel all fall sports — including soccer and volleyball — and explore making them up in the spring season. MAC schools rely heavily on revenue from playing road games against power conference teams. Most of those games were canceled when the Power Five went to exclusively or mostly conference games. MAC Commissioner Jon Steinbrecher said he is “heartbroken we are in this place.” He stressed this was first a decision about the health and well-being of the athletes, and the conference’s medical experts were not comfortable that sports could be run safely. A meeting of its presidents earlier in the week was expected to produce an agreement on how to go about a fall season, but instead some schools pushed to not play. The final decision was kicked to a Saturday morning meeting. PGA CHAMPIONSHIP The group stage matches at the World Cup-style tournament counted toward the regular season. F1-70TH ANNIVERSARY GPBottas on pole for Silverstone GP ahead of teammate HamiltonSILVERSTONE, England (AP) — Valtteri Bottas edged out Mercedes teammate and championship leader Lewis Hamilton to claim the pole position Saturday for Formula One’s 70th Anniversary Grand Prix.Hamilton appeared on course to take his 92nd career pole but he had a poor first sector on his final run and Bottas clocked 1 minute, 25.154 seconds, 0.063 seconds ahead of the six-time world champion. It gave Bottas his first pole since the opening race of the pandemic-delayed season in Austria, which he went on to win. Associated Press Update on the latest sports Lightning-Flyers, Avalanche-Golden Knights vie for top seedsUNDATED (AP) — Neither of the teams vying for the top playoff seed in the Eastern Conference will be at full-strength when they face off Saturday. The Tampa Bay Lightning are still without captain Steven Stamkos after a setback in rehab from core muscle surgery in March. The Philadelphia Flyers won’t have top-line right winger Jakub Voracek for undisclosed reasons. The winner of the game between the Lightning and Flyers gets home-ice advantage until the Stanley Cup Final.The winner of the game between the Vegas Golden Knights and Colorado Avalanche gets the top seed in the Western Conference. Vegas isn’t 100% healthy yet with winger Max Pacioretty (pash-uh-RET’-ee) still not ready to play. Colorado is healthy and undefeated in two round-robin games.NFL-JAGUARS MOVESJaguars release 5, including Middleton, to cut roster to 80 August 8, 2020 F1 is back at Hamilton’s home circuit of Silverstone this weekend for a race also closed to spectators due to the coronavirus restrictions. — Gerrit Cole tries for his 20th straight regular-season win when he pitches for the Yankees in the first game of a Saturday doubleheader at Tampa Bay. Cole’s streak dates to May 2019 with Houston and is the sixth-longest in big league history. The right-hander is 3-0 with a 2.55 ERA in three starts since signing a $324 million, nine-year contract with New York. Right-hander Tyler Glasnow pitches the opener for the Rays. Both teams will rely their bullpens in the second game.— The Marlins have rapidly become the most surprising team in the majors. They’ll try for their seventh win in a row when they take on the Mets Saturday night at Citi Field. Miami is 7-1 overall, and 5-0 since missing more than a week because of the team’s coronavirus outbreak. The Marlins keep winning despite already using 43 players, including 25 pitchers, to maintain a full roster amid COVID-19 concerns. Miami was 57-105 last year.— The matchup of Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw and Giants right-hander Johnny Cueto (KWAY’-toh) that was originally scheduled for opening day is now set to happen Saturday night in Los Angeles. Back trouble kept Kershaw out of the opener at Dodger Stadium. Kershaw looked every bit a three-time NL Cy Young Award winner in his first start this year, shutting out Arizona on three hits over 5 2-3 innings while striking out six without a walk. Cueto has started this season with three straight no-decisions and a 4.97 ERA.MLS-SEASON RESUMESMLS to resume regular season following Florida tournament China’s Li Haotong starts Round 3 with 2-stroke leadSAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Li Haotong (lee how-TAHNG’) took a 2-shot lead into the weekend at the PGA Championship, thanks to a bogey-free 65 Friday at TPC Harding Park. The 25-year-old is the first Chinese golfer to lead any round at a major championship. Among those in pursuit are two-time defending champion Brooks Koepka (KEHP’-kuh) and Tommy Fleetwood, whose 64 put him in the hunt for his first major. Tiger Woods struggled with his new putter Friday and shot 72 to finish eight off the lead. Rickie Fowler is going home after nearly whiffing on a 6-inch tap-in on No. 6. He missed the cut by one. NHL-SCHEDULE UNDATED (AP) — Major League Soccer said Saturday it will resume its season once the MLS is Back tournament in Florida wraps up. The league’s 26 teams will each play 18 games, with the first between FC Dallas and Nashville set for Aug. 12. Dallas and Nashville are playing three additional games after withdrawing from the league’s tournament because of positive COVID-19 cases. A majority of games will be played without fans because of local regulations. Teams will be subject to a rigorous testing protocol and will use charter flights to travel. MLS suspended the season on March 12 because of the pandemic after teams had played two games each. The league has been playing the monthlong MLS is Back tournament without fans at ESPN’s Wide World of Sports complex at Walt Disney World. The championship match is set for Tuesday between the Portland Timbers and Orlando City. JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) — The Jacksonville Jaguars parted ways with five players Saturday, including third-year safety Doug Middleton, to reduce their roster to 80.The team also waived running back Tavien Feaster, place-kicker Brandon Wright and offensive linemen Tyler Gauthier and Steven Nielsen. Feaster, Wright and Nielsen are rookies. The Jags also placed veteran defensive tackle Rodney Gunter on the non-football illness list. Gunter signed a three-year, $18 million contract in free agency and is expected to step into a starting role for a revamped defense that includes six new starters. By having 80 players on its roster now, Jacksonville is eligible to have its entire team at the facility and on the practice field during training camp.MLB-SCHEDULECardinals still waiting to playlast_img read more

  • Report details Garrett’s time as AD for Trojans

    first_imgESPN’s investigative program, Outside the Lines, recently profiled Athletic Director Mike Garrett, who has overseen a tumultuous past few months in USC’s athletic department.The report delved into Garrett’s history with the university, which goes as far back as his time at running back for USC, during which Garrett was honored as the 1965 Heisman Trophy winner.Reserved · USC Athletic Director Mike Garrett, pictured here at Lane Kiffin’s introduction, has developed a reputation as a quiet administrator. – Mike Lee | Daily Trojan A running back with a small 5-foot-9 stature, Garrett led the nation in 1965 with 267 carries and 1,440 rushing yards and was eventually drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs.After his time in the NFL, Garrett earned his law degree and was hired as USC’s athletic director in 1993.That is where the profile picks up, documenting the department’s ups and downs in Garrett’s ongoing stint as athletics director.During his time at the university, Garrett has seen the basketball team get as far as the Elite Eight in the NCAA tournament and, under the leadership of Pete Carroll, the football team claim two national championships.Garrett’s choice of Carroll in 2001 brought the department under fire, especially after Carroll’s less-than-stellar record in the NFL. But Garrett’s choice was vindicated by Carroll’s success during his nine-year stay at USC.Garrett’s accomplishment in the funding and building of the Galen Center, which opened in 2006, was also noted.Recently, the department has been scrutinized again for controversy surrounding the recruitments of football player Reggie Bush and basketball player O.J. Mayo. An Outside the Lines report in May 2008 revealed some controversy surrounding the relationship between Mayo, the university and Mayo confidant Rodney Guillory.The profile of Garrett returned to questions surrounding the Mayo recruitment and interviewed a variety of USC officials and sports figures, although Garrett declined to be interview for the show.Former USC men’s basketball coach Henry Bibby, whom Garrett fired abruptly only four games into his ninth season in 2004, was interviewed by the program and featured extensively.Bibby described Garrett as “guarded” even as USC will soon hear the outcome of NCAA hearings held in February regarding the Bush and Mayo situations.Former USC forward Keith Wilkinson also spoke with ESPN, telling OTL that Garrett visited with the team after an overtime loss to Memphis and harshly addressed a visibly shaken.According to many of those interviewed, Garrett had a hands-on approach to the university’s major sports, attending practices and visiting locker rooms on a regular basis.Former USC fullback Brandon Hancock — in talking with recently graduated members of the USC football team — revealed Garrett has recently shied away from direct contact with the teams.Garrett’s relationship with former USC basketball coach Tim Floyd was also investigated, though Floyd also reportedly declined an interview request from the program.The circumstances surrounding Floyd’s resignation from his post as USC’s men’s basketball coach also raised suspicion in the department. It was later revealed the relationship between Garrett and Floyd was strained during the time directly before the coach’s resignation.last_img read more

  • Throw Manny a Broner before Money rematch?

    first_imgAdrien Broner’s name has been floated as Manny Pacquiao’s next possible foe. But that doesn’t rule out the blockbuster rematch against Floyd Mayweather Jr. In fact, it is shaping up to be a teaser of sorts.Multiple websites reported that the Filipino boxing great will take on Mayweather’s Promotions top fighter for his next outing, any time between December this year and Jan. 19 next year.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Never say they’ll die Allen Durham still determined to help Meralco win 1st PBA title Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Gov’t to employ 6,000 displaced by Taal Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazilcenter_img The fight is being pegged as an appetizer for Pacquiao-Mayweather 2, with the undefeated American star also penciled for a separate bout before the rematch against the Filipino ring icon.Showtime president Stephen Espinoza was quoted by the sun.co.uk as saying that “I do think we will be seeing the rematch, Mayweather-Pacquiao in short order. I understand people doubted it because of the way it was announced so to speak.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissEspinoza added: “Floyd is taking advantage of an opportunity in marketing and the way he markets things, 2019 sounds perfect. That way I get a little sleep after this event then we go to Mayweather-Pacquiao 2 right away.”Pacquiao could face Broner in the United States after matchmaker Sean Gibbons reportedly said Pacquiao’s previous tax issues in the United States are already being addressed. View comments Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college MOST READ Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Website blacksportsonline.com said Broner was initially thought to be Mayweather’s tune-up foe but is more likely to face Pacquiao either with Showtime or Fox as broadcasters.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Nextlast_img read more

  • Video: Check out new Man United signing’s sensational solo wonder goal

    first_imgManchester United pulled off what the appeared to be the strangest move of transfer deadline day by signing Andy Kellett on loan from Bolton until the end of the season.Red Devils youngster Saidy Janko has gone in the opposite direction in a deal of the same length as he looks to get some first-team football.But Louis van Gaal’s new signing isn’t perhaps as strange as you might think when you see this stunning solo wonder goal Kellett scored for Plymouth earlier in the season.Has the Dutchman pulled off a masterstroke? Check out the incredible strike below… Andy Kellett 1last_img read more