When Virat Kohli takes the field on Thursday in the first Test against the West Indies, he will not only look to become the first Indian captain to win two Test series in the Caribbean nation but also look to maintain India’s unbeaten record on the current tour. India swept the 3-match T20I series and won the 3-match ODI series 2-0.Moving over to the longest format, India have not lost a Test series against West Indies since 2002 even though the number-one ranked team is still behind in the head-to-head series records.West Indies and India have contested in 23 Test series since 1948-49 with the Windies having won 12 times while India have 9 times.India’s first Test series win in the West Indies came in 1971 when the Ajit Wadekar-led team beat Gary Sobers’s side in the second Test to clinch the series 1-0. It was also India’s first Test win in the Caribbean. All the other matches in that 5-Test series ended in draws leading to a historic win for India.It took India another 35 years to go back to West Indies and win a Test series, this time under skipper Rahul Dravid, whose team managed to win the final match of the 4-Test series with the skipper, Harbhajan Singh and Anil Kumble leading the way.MS Dhoni’s team then toured West Indies in 2011 and won the three-match series 1-0.Virat Kohli’s first Test series win outside the sub-continent as India captain came in the West Indies in 2016 when he led from the front to help his team clinch the 4-match series 2-0.advertisementKohli now has the chance to become the first Indian captain to clinch two Test series wins in West Indies but it will be easier said than done this time as the home team has a much more balanced lineup than before.Kohli is also one win away from equalling MS Dhoni’s record of most wins as Indian Test captain. The 30-year-old currently has 26 wins from 46 matches while his predecessor had 27 wins in 60. A 2-0 series win will see Kohli become India’s most successful captain in the longest format.India however, have been in rampaging form in whites over the last three years with the best win-loss ratio in the longest format since 2016.Under Virat Kohli’s captaincy, India have won 23 and lost 8 out of the 38 Tests they have played since 2016 to end up with a win-loss ratio of 2.875 which is the best among all other Test-playing nations.No other team has won as many Tests in the said duration with England being the next best team with 21 wins out of a whopping 47 matches played since 2016, followed by South Africa, who are second on the list of teams with the best win-loss ratio having won 20 of the 35 Tests played with only 11 losses.The success in red-ball cricket has also transpired in series wins for Virat Kohli with India having won 8 of the 10 series they have played in the last three years, which is also the best series-win percentage among all other Test playing nations. Their only two series losses came last year in South Africa and England.The first Test of the two-match series will begin from August 22 at the Sir Vivian Richards stadium in North South, Antigua.This will also mark the beginning of India and West Indies’ campaigns in the ICC World Test Championship. Both teams have a chance to grab 120 points from the series.”The games are going to be much more competitive and it brings a lot of purpose to the Test matches you play. It’s the right move and the absolute right time,” India captain Virat Kohli said on Monday.”That’s going to be the essence of this Test championship as well. There will hardly be any boring draws, there will be exciting draws, because everyone will want those extra points,” Kohli added.Also Read | Competition in Test cricket has gone up two-folds in last couple of years: Virat KohliAlso Read | India vs West Indies: Rohit or Rahane? Big selection dilemma for Kohli ahead of 1st TestAlso Read | Virat Kohli close to equalling MS Dhoni’s Test captaincy recordAlso Read | Back to being good friends: Rahul on his equation with Hardik after Koffee with Karan row
Detectives arrested him for failing to cooperate and he was later remanded into custody after pleaded guilty to obstructing or frustrating a schedule seven search under the Terrorism 2000 Act.Karina Claire, defending, said Clarke admitted he had acted like a “teenage brat”.She said he had wanted to protect “women and children” and that his cause was “humanitarian”, but as well as packing medical supplies, he had also carried “military paraphernalia” and items “to defend himself in armed combat”.She said: “In the run up to this case he had been open with police. Robert Clarke spent four years in the ArmyCredit:Wales News Service Westminster Magistrate’s Court heard Clarke received death threats from purported Islamist extremists after details of his arrest first emerged. Prison staff were so worried about the threat from Islamist terrorist inmates that he was transferred to solitary confinement while on remand.Louise Gray, prosecuting, told the court Clarke came to police attention from July 2016 when his social media accounts suggested he wanted to join Kurdish forces against Islamic State in Iraq and Levant (Isil).Police repeatedly warned him of the dangers, but he told them he was booked on a flight to Jordan on September 8 of last year. He was held by detectives at Heathrow under counter-terrorism stop and search powers and officers asked for his iPhone and then his pin number.Clarke, who is unemployed from Pembrey, Carmarthenshire, refused to give it to them, claiming he had forgotten it.Clarke then told officers: “I ain’t telling you s***, charge me with perverting the court of justice, f*** your interview and f*** you.” Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings. There are a number of people there on remand for cases of terrorism or supporting that offence of terrorism who would not take kindly to the presence of someone like Mr ClarkeKarina Claire, defending “He had made them cups of tea and he had told them in great detail what his plans were.”Having served in the military he felt he could assist victims of war in that country.She went on: “As a result of press coverage he was sent extremely nasty threats from Islamic extremists or people purporting to support Islamic extremism.”Prison staff had told her they had concerns about his safety because he had openly said he wanted to fight Isil. She said: “There are a number of people there on remand for cases of terrorism or supporting that offence of terrorism who would not take kindly to the presence of someone like Mr Clarke. “He had to spend time in solitary confinement.”District Jude John Zani told Clarke: “I am afraid Mr Clarke we live in difficult and potentially dangerous times, when frustration has to be relaxed when you’re asked to supply important information by police officers, who are merely doing their job trying got keep everyone, including yourself safe.”Nobody knows what was on your phone because you never handed over your pin.”Had you not served the time you have you would almost certainly be going to prison.”Taking into account his early guilty plea and the time spent in custody he handed Clarke a 12 months community order, 50 hours of unpaid work and £85 in victim surcharge.He was also given a 12 month ban on travelling abroad. A former British soldier arrested while travelling to fight against Islamic State in Syria received death threats from extremists and had to be held in solitary confinement for his own safety, a court has heard.Robert Clarke was held after refusing to hand over the pin code to his phone when police stopped him at Heathrow on his way to join Kurdish fighters.The 23-year-old from South Wales was handed a 12 month community order after admitting obstructing police under counter terrorism laws.