American-Ecuadorian Formula Two racer Juan Manuel Correa has been placed in an induced coma after suffering acute respiratory failure following a crash in Belgium last weekend that killed French driver Anthoine Hubert, his parents said on Saturday.They added in a statement that the 20-year-old was in a ‘critical but stable’ condition in a London hospital.Correa suffered a spinal injury and fractured his legs in Saturday’s horrific crash during the support race for the Belgian Formula One Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps.He was transferred to Britain from a hospital in Belgium on Tuesday.Correa, a development driver for the Alfa Romeo Formula One team and grandson of former Ecuadorian president Rodrigo Borja, underwent more than four hours of surgery in Liege after the accident.”As time has progressed, new complications have surfaced as a consequence of the massive impact he suffered Saturday in Belgium,” Juan Carlos and Maria Correa said.”On his arrival to London, Juan Manuel was diagnosed with Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. This is an injury considered common in high impact accidents such as this one.”The family statement said Correa had fallen into acute respiratory failure and been placed in an “induced state of unconsciousness and under ECMO (extracorporeal membrane oxygenation support)”.”We are confident that our son will surprise us like he always does with his tremendous fighting will and strength and will recover completely,” the statement added.Hubert, 22, died after his car was hit at speed by Correa’s after the French driver had gone off into the barriers at Spa’s fast Raidillon corner.advertisementHe was the first driver fatality at a Formula One race weekend since Ayrton Senna and Roland Ratzenberger were killed at Imola in 1994.Formula Two is one rung below F1 and many of the drivers are affiliated to grand prix teams. Britain’s George Russell, now with Williams, won the F2 title last year after Monegasque Charles Leclerc, now at Ferrari, in 2017.Also Read | Being disconnected with Saurabh Chaudhary is secret of our pair’s success: Manu BhakerAlso see:
More Annapolis Valley physicians are a step closer to being able to prescribe methadone after a training session held Saturday, Dec. 10, in Wolfville. Family doctors, community pharmacists, psychiatrists, nurses and addictions counselors from the Annapolis Valley took part in an Opioid Dependence Treatment course offered through the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health. The Annapolis Valley Health Authority organized the course with financial support from the province. “This training means more people in the Annapolis Valley can receive methadone treatment, as well as other types of treatment for opiate addictions,” said Health and Wellness Minister Maureen MacDonald. “Having more physicians with their exemption to prescribe methadone will create opportunities for stabilized clients to transfer back to their family doctors, which can in turn open spaces for new clients.” Of the 55 course participants, 14 are physicians who can now apply to Health Canada for an exemption to prescribe methadone for dependency purposes. The training included a 15-hour online course and one day of in-class work. Participants learned how to effectively and safely manage clients receiving methadone and other treatments for opiate addiction. “By training professionals in a variety of fields we will be able to provide comprehensive support at all levels of the healthcare system,” said Janet Knox, president and CEO of Annapolis Valley Health. “We’ve strengthened our collaborative understanding and improved our approach to managing addictions here in the Annapolis Valley.” In mid-October, the province announced $370,000 in funding for methadone treatment to address the significant wait list in the Annapolis Valley. There are currently 32 people taking part in the treatment program, administered by Annapolis Valley Health. There are 30 people on the wait list who are expected to begin receiving treatment in January 2012. The program addresses one of the recommendations of the provincial prescription drug and overdose working group and will serve as a model for other areas of the province. More information about the new opiate addiction treatment program is available by calling 902-679-2392 or 902-825-6828.